From the 2017 AGM Minutes -
The new FRA-operated hatchery at Colliford is now up and running thanks to the generous funding from SWW and the efforts of all the volunteers who helped set it up and run it.
Initial concerns over water temperature and quality/quantity have proved unwarranted and the Hatchery Manager was pleased to report that the first 6 months of activities had proved a success:
- Brood stock collection quotas had been met. LDAC
waters provided two thirds (2/3) of the brood stock
and one angler (J Hake) had collected over 50% of
- Just under 40,000 eggs had been stripped and the
brood stock returned back to the river.
- At the time of the meeting the first 2 fry had hatched
and with low water temperatures (assisted by a
chiller unit) eggs are developing well.
- A CEFAS inspection had been carried out and the
results were more than satisfactory.
- The vision for the hatchery is not just to make it work
– but to make it work well.
- Volunteers were once more thanked for their efforts
in making the operation the success it is to date.